It's been a slow month because of my RSI, but I need closure on a couple of features I've been slowly building out: https://archive.org/details/akkartik-2min-2020-09-02I need closure because I've gotten excited recently about dropping my dependency on the Linux kernel, and a way to provide graphics without an OS.Using BIOS.waves hands. No, wait, come back. Check this out: http://arclanguage.org/item?id=21532. While using *VGA primitives is never going to give a large screen resolution or 60fps games, I think it might give us some nice new capabilities for very little code.I'm starting to think of the BIOS as "a standard instruction set for all the other hardware besides the processor." That seems fruitful. (https://futureofcoding.slack.com/archives/C5U3SEW6A/p1597899212000500)The real problem down this road is input. A keyboard will be fine. A mouse seems iffy but hopefully doable. But pressure-sensitive multi-touch, fuggedaboudit. So no minority-report-style FoC demos in Mu's future. Oh well. I'm not even sure what a reasonable API for multi-touch looks like, so I'm not going to worry about it for now.
In a slow couple of weeks, I've been mostly working on fixes and stability of the text editor. In the video I cover some ongoing work to improve UI/Widgets. On the Synthesizer side, I've been working on performance issues and continuing my implementation of the Ixi music language; I'll do an update on that when it is in a better state!
Hi, in this video I show some new features that I didn't show yet or that just took some more time. To summarize: a new flow-type, extandable and configurable node UI, expression engine and a new spreadsheet node. I hope you enjoy😊!
)Unlike these, however, this version tries to hew to two principles:* Show all the data (following
@Joshua Horowitz; http://joshuahhh.com/projects/pane)* Minimize interaction (following Bret Victor;
http://worrydream.com/MagicInk)This was my first attempt at structured editing, and the code is quite messy. This prototype also feels like a bit of a dead end; it's not clear how to scale it up past a single line. I'm looking forward to seeing how the code and concepts evolve.
In a slow week for my project, I worked through the problem of getting note data back to the text editor, and prepared for more advanced visualisations. I lost my way a bit towards the end and didn't quite get where I need to be, as shown in the video, but I can see a clear path to it now.
I also don't mention in the video, but my intention here is to use colors that match a defined set of colors in the timeline for consistency (i.e. the same drum pattern will light up with the same color in editor and timeline)
This week on instadeq (the visible parts): standardized "tooltip" support across the application, formulas can be dropped on the basket to move them around, labels and tooltip format can be configured with formulas on charts that support them, new functions, the most interesting iones: add to and substract from date (unit specified with enums)